op links

21 Apr 2018

Sushi making class

    Saturday
    21//04//2018
    0730 - 1200 hours
📍Sushi King, Aeon Ipoh Station 18

My Japanese class had planned this a few weeks back. Actually, it was our sensei's idea during the early of semester but we only had time on week 14 to do so.

Couldn't sleep the whole night before not because I was excited or anything. It's just I've fucked up my sleeping pattern. Having no class for the past few days plus the fact I couldn't pray had given me the privilege to sleep late and wake up not caring what time it is in the afternoon. 

We arrived at Aeon around 0845, the doors were not even opened yet. Our instructor? was called Shah-san and he was very helpful throughout the event. We started by taking care of our hygiene which was washing our hands (but then we continued playing with our dirty phones using the already washed hands so what is purpose). Shah-san taught us basic Japanese terms like おはようございます and いっらしゃいませ which we already learnt in class but there were new words like rice tub ➜ はんぎり and rice paddle? ➜しゃもじ (sorry I'm too lazy to look em up) and then the chef proceeded to show us how they handle their sticky rice using both tub and paddle. Some of us tried doing something with the rice. He said not to squeeze, just spread the rice yea leave that to some 20ish year olds with too much energy to do that.

Now comes the best part. The first hand experience on how to make sushi 🍣. We made 7 sushi altogether; nigiri (my whole life I believed it was called onigiri I have lived 22 years in such lies), 2 gunkan maki, inarizushi? (this once I googled cause I can't remember but then again I don't recall the chef saying this name), futomaki? or hosomaki?, uramaki and temaki. We used that rolling thingy makisu? It was fun even though I don't really eat sushi hahah. The rice balls were prepared machines so that eased thing a bit. I'll the process in details later.

There was mini competition but I didn't participate cause apparently I have no hidden talent in making sushi. We took photos and got a bento each. Tried to finish it during dinner but I'm full af.

I straightaway fell asleep once I reached my room. Overall it was a good experience 😋

No comments:

Post a Comment